Monday, October 18, 2021

The California Delta

Miner Slough - one of countless waterways in the Delta


Last weekend I got the opportunity to explore a part of the country I do not know at all: the California Delta.  Maria had a yoga retreat near Walnut Grove, to I tagged along with my bike.  It was great riding the (vey flat) levee top roads and seeing something new.  Fascinating history here and it is impossible not to imagine what this was like as a massive wetlands complex prior to draining and diverting the incoming freshwater (50% of California's total runoff) from the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers.  Still, a new geography is always a thrill for me and I was thoroughly entertained during our brief visit.



J Mack Ferry Crossing to Ryer Island

Surprising number of vineyards here



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home