Friday, April 03, 2009

We ARE in Kansas now

On the campus at KSU

A business trip gave me the opportunity to visit a place I had never been before; Manhattan, Kansas. In fact, I had never set foot in Kansas. Couldn't pass up a new state. Some observations: The eastern part of Kansas is not as flat as I expected. It was also not any where near springlike in late March. Total annual rainfall when I arrived was about 2 inches. The place was barren, dry, and a bit grim to be honest. No smiley sunflowers and green fields. Also, Manhattan, though it is a college town with Kansas State University, is a pretty dull town. The campus area was surrounded mostly by strip commercial development and it took me a long time to find - and walk to - what's left of the downtown. I must admit a little disappointment. Still, I got to ride a shuttle van from Kansas City to here and saw some interesting countryside, nice stone structures, wide open spaces, and an obvious pride in history here. And it beat hanging out in my cubicle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home